Press Release – New Zealand Post
Some of New Zealands most esteemed writers, critics, broadcasters and artists have been selected as judges to choose the most outstanding New Zealand books published during 2013.17 October 2013
A new chapter: New Zealand Post Book Awards judges unveiled for 2014
Some of New Zealand’s most esteemed writers, critics, broadcasters and artists have been selected as judges to choose the most outstanding New Zealand books published during 2013.
“We’re delighted with the variety and high calibre of the judging panels for the 2014 New Zealand Post Book Awards and the 2014 New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards,” Juliet Blyth, the Chair of the Book Awards Governance Group said.
“I can’t wait to see the submissions come pouring in, so that the judging can get underway.”
The judging panels will deliberate on as many as 300 books during the next 7 months – with the winners being announced in 2014.
They will be whittling the selection down to find the best children’s, young adult and adult literature published by New Zealand authors over the past year.
The New Zealand Post Book Awards judges are:
• Chief Judge and broadcaster, Miriama Kamo;
• Acclaimed New Zealand artist, Dick Frizzell;
• Award winning Radio New Zealand presenter, Kim Hill;
• Poet and novelist Elizabeth Smither; and
• Literary critic, Peter Simpson.
The New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards judges are:
• Chief Judge and award winning novelist, Barbara Else;
• Acclaimed illustrator, Ant Sang; and
• Community Learning Librarian at Christchurch City Libraries, Zac Harding.
Chief Judge, Miriama Kamo said she will be looking for a book that is completely enthralling: “A book that I can fall in love with, that I miss when I’m away, that calls from afar, has me grieving when it’s over, and reminiscing after. That’s what I’m looking for. And the wonderful thing is, I know I’ll find it in these awards.”
The New Zealand Post Book Award judges will select 16 finalists and the country’s best book – the New Zealand Post Book of the Year. “They have a tough challenge ahead, but I am confident they are all well suited to the task,” Juliet Blyth said.
The best children’s books will be selected across four categories: Young Adult Fiction, Junior Fiction, Non-fiction and Picture Books.
Children’s Book Awards Chief Judge, Barbara Else is also excited about the challenge ahead: “Fiction or fact, the best children’s books foster imagination, individuality and joy in learning. Being involved in the 2014 awards is a wonderful chance to experience a full range of what is being presented for our young readers. It’s like being invited to plunge into a treasure box.”
Once again there will be plenty happening to celebrate the country’s most outstanding books.
A series of colourful events and a book festival will lead into each of the award announcements. National Poetry Day will be held on the 22 August, 2014 and there will be a nationwide tour of Children’s Book Award finalists, authors and illustrators who will be stopping in at schools and libraries around the country from 17 – 25 May 2014.
Click here for more information about the judges.
To find out more about the New Zealand Post Book Awards please visit www.nzpostbookawards.co.nz
The New Zealand Post Book Awards
The New Zealand Post Book Awards (NZPBA) are sponsored by New Zealand Post and administrated by Booksellers New Zealand. The awards are also supported by Creative New Zealand and Book Tokens New Zealand.
• Entries close: 1 April, 2014 for books published to 31 May 2014
• NZPBA Best First Book award winners announced: 16 July 2014
• Finalists announced: 23 July 2014
• National Poetry Day: 22 August 2014
• Winners announced: 27 August 2014 (awards ceremony to be held in Wellington)
The New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards
The New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards are sponsored by New Zealand Post and administrated by Booksellers New Zealand. The awards are also supported by Creative New Zealand and Book Tokens New Zealand.
• Entries close: 29 November for books published to 31 December 2013
• Finalists announced: 8 April 2014
• Children’s Choice voting begins: 8 April 2014
• New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards Festival: 17 – 25 May 2014
• Winners announced: 23 June 2014 (awards ceremony to be held Auckland)