Press Release – Mediaworks
TV Guide and 3 News have joined forces to launch a Junior Reporter writing competition open to 8-13 year-olds.MEDIA RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday 24 October, 2013
3 News And TV Guide Launch Junior Reporter Competition
TV Guide and 3 News have joined forces to launch a Junior Reporter writing competition open to 8-13 year-olds.
By submitting an original news report about an event or person in their community, along with an original photograph, the aspiring reporters could see their work published at 3News.co.nz and in TV Guide Magazine – and win a family trip to Auckland including a visit to the TV3 newsroom, afternoon tea with 3 News anchors Mike McRoberts and Hilary Barry, and VIP tickets to Coca Cola Christmas in the Park.
The official entry form, advice from Mike and Hilary and other competition details are in the TV Guide on-sale now. And there’s a wealth of advice for aspiring reporters, including video interviews with many of TV3′s best journalists, examples of the sort of writing the competition organisers are looking for, plus terms and conditions at 3News.co.nz/kids.
The competition closes on November 11, and will be judged by Hilary and Mike, TV Guide Editor Julie Eley, and TV3′s Director of News and Current Affairs, Mark Jennings.
TV Guide Editor, Julie Eley says: “We’ll be looking for that extra special boy or girl who, rather than accepting things at face value, is prepared to probe into the who, what, why, where and when of events in their town. I can’t wait to read all the wonderful news reports.”
3 News anchor and journalist, Hilary Barry says: “Real journalism is not about reading the news on television or putting on flash clothes and getting your face in the paper, it’s about the story. If you’re a person who’s really nosey, and really interested in other people’s stories then I’d encourage you to enter the Junior Reporter competition – journalism may be for you.”
How to enter the 3 News / TV Guide Junior Reporter Competition:
* Choose your topic – you can write EITHER a profile about someone who is important to your community OR report on an event that took place in your community.
* Visit 3news.co.nz to find out what makes a good news report – you’ll find advice from some of NZ’s best journalists and examples of well written stories.
* Write a news report of 300-400 words and take a photo to illustrate it. Write a caption for the photo and send your story, photo and caption to TV Guide using the official entry form found in the magazine. You can enter more than once, but each entry needs to be sent separately, using a new entry form.
* Make sure your entry also includes your name, your age (there are two age categories: 8-10 year-olds and 11-13 year olds), a photo of you, and an acknowledgement that your parent/guardian agrees to your participation in this competition.
* The closing date is Monday 11 November, 2013.
More information can be found at 3News.co.nz/kids and in TV Guide magazine.
- ends -