Press Release – St John Youth
The big day has finally arrived for 12 St John Youth competitions teams, as they tackle the first aid section of the St John National Youth Festival and Competitions. The first aid competitions are being held at the iconic Eden Park on Saturday 27 …Testing Times for St John Cadets in Auckland
The big day has finally arrived for 12 St John Youth competitions teams, as they tackle the first aid section of the St John National Youth Festival and Competitions.
The first aid competitions are being held at the iconic Eden Park on Saturday 27 April from 9.00am. Competitors – who are all aged between 15 and 18 – will be tested in various first aid and healthcare scenarios.
St John will be hosting some special guests during the day, including Nikki Kaye, Minister of Youth Affairs and Member of Parliament for Auckland Central, and Jacinda Ardern, Labour List MP based in Central Auckland.
Sonya Gale, St John Community Programmes Director, says the St John Youth Festival is a challenging and exciting time for St John Cadets. “It’s an event where we get to see the skills of St John’s younger members, celebrate our successes, and learn from each other and embrace the camaraderie that is the St John whanau.”
Some of the first aid and health care skills that competitors are tested on include:
• Resuscitation: treating patients who are unconscious and not breathing, possibly through CPR (as appropriate)
• Trauma: assessing and treating patients who have been injured through an accident, as well as assessing and treating large numbers of patients
• Transportation of patients with mobility issues
• Healthcare: assessing and treating patients with an illness
The scenarios are as realistic as possible, using props, make up, and living ‘patients’ so that the competitors experience and respond as if it were a real situation.
Media and members of the public are warmly invited to attend.
Day details for Saturday 27 April
Event location: Eden Park
Time: from 9.00am
• Media and spectators are requested to enter via Sandringham Road.
• There will be a ‘spectator’s lounge’ (the South Lounge, Level 3) from which all the scenarios will be accessible. Not all of Eden Park will be open to viewing.
• St John has three regions: Northern, Central (both based in the North Island) and the South Island
• Each region is represented by a squad of St John Youth Cadets:
o Four Teams of four
o Four Individual competitors
o Four Emergency competitors
• Each squad also has a dedicated management team made up of volunteer Youth Leaders.