Press Release – Westpac Halberg Awards
MEDIA RELEASE 50th Westpac Halberg Awards Halberg Race for NZs Favourite Sporting Moment Is On The race to determine New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment for 2012 has begun with Motocross, Netball, Basketball and Olympic moments all vying …MEDIA RELEASE
50th Westpac Halberg Awards
Halberg Race for ‘NZ’s Favourite Sporting Moment’ Is On
The race to determine ‘New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment’ for 2012 has begun with Motocross, Netball, Basketball and Olympic moments all vying for the only Halberg honour determined solely by public vote.
The winner of the Award will be announced by Prime Minister John Key at the Westpac Halberg Awards in Auckland on Thursday February 14, with public voting officially closing at 9.15pm that night.
Sports fans can vote for ‘New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment’ up to once a day via Facebook, txt or online through the SKY Sport, Radio Sport or Westpac Halberg Awards websites.
Halberg Disability Sport Foundation CEO Geoff Burgess says New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment is a chance for the public to ‘have their say’ by deciding New Zealand’s most exciting, remarkable, or compelling sporting moment, game or series in 2012.
“This Award is all about the sports fans and what we’ve learnt from past years is that fan bases are very powerful! This was evident last year when Vodafone Warriors fans got in behind their team and almost pipped the World Cup winning All Blacks at the post after a last minute surge of voting.”
“With another selection of exceptional sporting moments up for this year’s Award it will no doubt be a compelling race as fans battle to see their favourite sporting moment come out on top,” says Burgess.
One lucky voter will win two tickets, plus flights and accommodation to attend the Westpac Halberg Awards at Vector Arena in Auckland. To be eligible for the prize draw, voters must submit their vote before midnight on 6th February. Official voting closes at 9.15pm on Thursday 14 February, the day of the Westpac Halberg Awards. For full voting details visit www.halbergawards.co.nz.
The 2012 ‘New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment’ Finalists Are:
1. NZ Breakers – win second straight Australian National Basketball League Championship
2. Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic – become the first New Zealand team to win the Trans-Tasman Netball Championship
3. Men’s Double Sculls – Nathan Cohen and Joseph Sullivan storm from behind to win Gold
4. Mahe Drysdale – battles five ‘scared men’ to win Gold
5. Lisa Carrington – blitzes the field to win Gold
6. Valerie Adams – gets her Gold in the end
7. Levi Sherwood – wins the Red Bull X-Fighters motocross series
The Westpac Halberg Awards is New Zealand’s preeminent event to honour and celebrate sporting excellence. The Awards also help to raise vital funds for the Halberg Disability Sport Foundation – Sir Murray Halberg’s charity to enhance the lives of physically disabled young people, their families and communities, by enabling them to participate in sport.
How fans can vote:
Fans can vote for their favourite sporting moment once a day from now until 9.15pm on the night of the Awards ceremony – Thursday 14th February, 2013. They can do this online, on Facebook or via txt, and everyone who votes is in the draw to win flights, accommodation and tickets for two people to attend the Westpac Halberg Awards ceremony.
Where to vote:
1) Facebook: Log in to Facebook and ‘Like’ the ‘New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment’ Facebook Page. Follow a few short steps using the custom built app.
2) Online: Visit one of the following websites:
3) Txt your Favourite Sporting Moment’s unique code to 2227 (Texts cost 20c on Vodafone and Telecom, and 9c on 2Degrees.)
1. NZ Breakers txt Sm1 to 2227
2. Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic txt Sm2 to 2227
3. Men’s Double Sculls txt Sm3 to 2227
4. Mahe Drysdale txt Sm4 to 2227
5. Lisa Carrington txt Sm5 to 2227
6. Valerie Adams txt Sm 6 to 2227
7. Levi Sherwood txt Sm7 to 2227