Press Release – UNAIDS
Mr Sidibe is in New Zealand for a short visit with the Rt. Hon. Helen Clark, Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), who will also be present for the opening. HIV is an epidemic that affects New Zealand and our neighbours in the …2 March 2012
International Women’s Day
The Executive Director of the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), Michel Sidibe, will officially open Positive Women Inc.’s new community house on Wednesday March 7th.
Mr Sidibe is in New Zealand for a short visit with the Rt. Hon. Helen Clark, Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), who will also be present for the opening. HIV is an epidemic that affects New Zealand and our neighbours in the Pacific, and this visit will focus on understanding the new UNAIDS “getting to ZERO” strategy and vision.
Jane Bruning, National Coordinator of Positive Women Inc. says “It is a tremendous honour to have Mr. Sidibe officially opening the new Positive Women Community House, especially on the eve of International Women’s Day”.
As the Asia Pacific UNAIDS Programme Coordinating Board NGO Delegate, Bruning has worked besides Mr. Sidibe to ensure that the priorities and interests of HIV positive people and communities are considered in UNAIDS decisions and policies.
The Positive Women Inc.’s Community House is a significant move in the future development of the organisation. The house provides a safer, more welcoming, family friendly place for women members living with HIV and their families.
• Positive Women Inc. is an organisation providing support to women and families living with HIV. Positive Women Inc. also aims to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS in the community through educational programmes with a focus on prevention and de-stigmatisation. www.positivewomen.org.nz
• UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, is an innovative partnership that leads and inspires the world in achieving universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support. www.unaids.org
• For more information on the “Getting to ZERO” campaign go to http://www.unaids.org/en/aboutunaids/unaidsstrategygoalsby2015/
• For more information on the NGO Delegation to the UNAIDS Programme Coordinating Board go to http://unaidspcbngo.org/
• For more information about International Women’s Day go to http://www.internationalwomensday.com/default.asp