Press Release – Auckland Council
Auckland Council is calling for entries and nominations for its Sustainable Environment Awards 2012, with the winners to be announced in July. Held every two years, the awards recognise individuals and groups helping to protect and enhance Auckland’s …28 March 2012
Search is on for sustainable environment heroes
Auckland Council is calling for entries and nominations for its Sustainable Environment Awards 2012, with the winners to be announced in July.
Held every two years, the awards recognise individuals and groups helping to protect and enhance Auckland’s environment and heritage.
Auckland Council Environment and Sustainability Forum Chairperson Wayne Walker says the main aim of the awards is to help reward the people making a positive difference to Auckland’s environment and heritage.
“The awards programme helps raise the profile of community-led sustainable environment activity, the great results being achieved, and the inspiration this provides for others.”
Councillor Walker urges people to be proud of their achievements and get their entries in, or to nominate a deserving individual or group.
“Whether you are a school implementing an energy-saving programme, or a community group creating an organic garden in the local community, we want to celebrate your good work,” says Councillor Walker.
Entries close on 9 May. Winners will be announced at a ceremony in Auckland on 30 July 2012.
This year’s award categories are:
• Individuals – recognising sustainable environment leadership and commitment;
• Sustainable schools – recognising commitment and practical action by schools/tertiary institutions within their campus and/or local community;
• Youth – recognising commitment and practical action by people aged under 25 years
• Sustainable communities – recognising sustainable environment achievement by a community group or family
• Supreme – recognising the stand-out project across all categories
The Auckland Council Sustainable Environment Awards are a continuation of the former Auckland Regional Council’s awards.