Press Release – Auckland Council
Visit Auckland Libraries during Pasifika and get a feel for the Pacific Islands through stories, books, music and family history. In March 2012, Auckland Libraries will be celebrating Pasifika with a range of activities, events and displays that …29 February 2012
The Islands come alive at Auckland Libraries
Visit Auckland Libraries during Pasifika and get a feel for the Pacific Islands through stories, books, music and family history.
In March 2012, Auckland Libraries will be celebrating Pasifika with a range of activities, events and displays that showcase the libraries’ Pacific treasures.
Abigael Vogt, Team Leader of the Auckland Libraries Multicultural Service Development team, says there are lots of special events as well as regular libraries programmes with a Pacific flavour on offer.
“Pasifika is an opportunity for us to highlight some important special collections and resources such as newspapers, stories and legends, CDs and DVDs in Pacific languages, digital and family history resources and travel guides,” she says. “There are also some internationally renowned taonga held in the Sir George Grey Special Collections.
“Pasifika 2012 at Auckland Libraries highlights the breadth of information available to Aucklanders, as well as the importance of celebrating our vibrant and diverse region,” says Abigael. “There are over 100 Pasifika events being held across the region.”
‘Pasifika at Auckland Libraries – where the Islands come alive’ event highlights include:
• ‘Stars of Pasifika Poetry’, an evening of performances and readings at the Central Library by Albert Wendt, Selina Tusitala Marsh, Serie Barford, Robert Sullivan, Doug Poole, Courtney Meredith, Rev. Mua Strickson-Pua and Johnny Angel
• Live poetry from the South Auckland Poets’ Collective at Te Matariki Clendon Library
• Pasifika Arts & Crafts workshops with Auckland War Memorial Museum at various libraries
• Pacific cultural experience from Hawaii, Tahiti, Fire Knife of Samoa and Northcote’s Pukepuke o tonga dancers at Northcote Library
• As well as bilingual and Pacific themed Storytime, Wriggle & Rhyme and Rhymetimes across the region.
For more information visit www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz or visit your local library.
• Stars of Pasifika Poetry – Tuesday, 13 March, 5.30pm – 7.30pm in the Whare Wānanga, level 2, Central City Library
• Live poetry from the South Auckland Poets Collective – this talented group of young South Aucklanders come together and share their life changing experiences through the beauty of poetry. Thursday 8 March 2012, 10.30am, Te Matariki Clendon Library.
• Polynesian Entertainers Ltd proudly presents – a Pacific experience, with a cultural performance from Hawaii, Tahiti, Fire Knife of Samoa … and from Northcote the Pukepuke o Tonga dancers. Saturday 24 March, 12-1pm, Northcote Library