Jury trials start in Christchurch

Press Release – Ministry of Justice

Jury trials were held at the Christchurch District Court today for the first time since the February 22 earthquake last year. Ministry of Justice Deputy Secretary Christchurch Recovery, Jared Mullen said the start of jury trials marked a new phase …Jury trials start in Christchurch

Jury trials were held at the Christchurch District Court today for the first time since the February 22 earthquake last year.

Ministry of Justice Deputy Secretary Christchurch Recovery, Jared Mullen said the start of jury trials marked a new phase in the Ministry’s earthquake recovery work since the Durham Street courthouse opened for other court services in mid-December.

”Until now it has not been possible to operate jury trials from within the city, but from today there is a full range of court services operating,” he said.

Jury summons for trials starting today and over the coming weeks were first sent in December 2011.

“The people serving on jury panels today are making a vital contribution to justice services for the Christchurch community,” Mr Mullen said.

Five courtrooms are now in use at the main Durham Street courthouse and a new courthouse will open on Cambridge Terrace next month, predominantly for high and district court jury trials.

Christchurch District Court trials have been held in alternative venues across the southern region since last February’s earthquake.

More information on justice services in Christchurch is available here.

If you have any questions about the return of justice services to central Christchurch please email: canterburyearthquakerecovery@justice.govt.nz or phone the Ministry of Justice 24-hour freephone number: 0800 324 627.

ENDS

Content Sourced from scoop.co.nz
Original url