Press Release – Cancer Society
“Relay For Life is a chance to Remember and Celebrate being alive”. Says Matiu Leonard about his participation this weekend at the Cancer Society Auckland event. “Balls Out” take strides against Cancer at Millennium Stadium
“Relay For Life is a chance to Remember and Celebrate being alive”. Says Matiu Leonard about his participation this weekend at the Cancer Society Auckland event.
“We recently lost a couple of firefighters from the Auckland region to cancer, and Relay is a good chance to come together and acknowledge their families and their lives. Cancer affects so many, and I wanted to show my support for the Cancer Society and their role in the community so I got a team and got involved”.
Having recently undergone his own cancer journey battling testicular cancer, Matt entered a team at Relay for Life called “Balls Out”. He has also gone on to be runner up in the 2009 Cleo Bachelor of the Year. “Cancer gave me courage to step outside the norm and push myself and achieve things I often put on the backburner. Dreams of becoming a firefighter, fighting in a boxing event and also returning to play senior rugby were all goals. Life is too short to sit back and wait, go get it. Always remember the most important thing in life is people”.
This Sat 1000’s of people will be taking strides against cancer at an annual Relay For Life event being held at the Millenium Stadium. Relay celebrates with a ‘Survivor Lap’ and also remembers loved ones lost at a beautiful Candle Light Ceremony.
“I want to invite people to come along and experience Relay, for the candle-light ceremony, the survivor lap or to see the live entertainment– everyone is welcome. There will also be lots of family fun and live music, including fun covers bands, Tuutai Brass Band and
Bollywood Dancers as well as the Balls Out Bouncy castle.
• The event starts at 4pm this Saturday and will go through until 10am on Sunday
• “Cancer touches 1 in 3 New Zealanders so unfortunately most of us know someone who has been affected. Whether it is a close friend, whanau or a colleague, Relay is a time to acknowledge those who have been through cancer”.
• Relay For Life is made up of teams of work colleagues, school groups, family and friends who take strides to raise funds in support of those with cancer. The event includes music, camping-out, a candlelit ceremony, food, family fun and the on-going relay.
• In 2010 over 210 teams took strides against cancer and raised over half a million dollars to help the Cancer Society continue their work in local communities. Work such as cancer liaison nurses, counsellors and the 0800 information help line as well as cancer research. Find out more at relayforlife.org.nz
Relay For Life 2012 will be held on:
• 18th & 19th February 2012, Mt Smart Stadium
• 3rd & 4th March 2012 Millenium Stadium
• 24th & 25th March 2012 Kumeu Stadium