Press Release – Christchurch City Council
Since Friday, 23 December Christchurch City Council staff have been working tirelessly to repair earthquake-damaged infrastructure and reopen as many facilities as possible. The following updates regard facilities that are open. Facilities that are not listed …29 December 2011
Christchurch City Council facilities and infrastructure update
Since Friday, 23 December Christchurch City Council staff have been working tirelessly to repair earthquake-damaged infrastructure and reopen as many facilities as possible. The following updates regard facilities that are open. Facilities that are not listed below are closed:
Council buildings and facilities
* Akaroa Museum – open.
* Central Art Gallery – all closed including Gallery Shop due to increased threat from Gallery Apartments.
Civic Offices (53 Hereford Street)
* Civic Offices closed until assessments completed.
* Redwood – open.
* Halswell – open.
* Mini Linwood (Smith Street) – open.
* Central Library (Peterborough St) – open.
* Central South City – open.
* South Library – open.
* Papanui Library – open.
* Hornby Library – open.
* Shirley Library – open.
* Lyttelton – open.
* Spreydon – open.
* Akaroa – open.
* New Brighton, Diamond Harbour and Parklands Libraries – open.
* Spencer Park Camping Ground – open.
* South Brighton Camping Ground – open.
Pools/Leisure Facilities returning to standard holiday hours –
7am to 8pm –
from the days indicated
* Pioneer Centre – open.
* Parklands Gym – open.
* Jellie Park pools – open.
* Jellie Park Fitness Centre and studio – open.
* Graham Condon Recreation Centre – open.
* Halswell pool – open.
* Templeton pool – open.
* Governor’s Bay pool – open.
* Belfast pool and park paddling pools (Botanic Gardens, Edgar
MacIntosh Park and Spencer Park) open.
* Housing complexes with previous earthquake issues have been visited and engineers are assessing specific units which are considered ‘indicator’ buildings.
* Hei Hei Community Centre, Waimairi Community Centre, Abberley Park Hall, Harvard Lounge, Templeton Community Centre, North New Brighton War Memorial and Community Centre, Parkview Lounge – all open.
* All facilities at the Groynes and Bottle Lake Park are open.
* Rapaki Track is closed.
* Brighton Pier is open.
* Wastewater Treatment Plant open.
* Eastern, Styx and Parkhouse Transfer Stations open.
* HSBC House in Worcester Street is able to be used.
Repair crews are responding to new water main breaks and leaks as they are reported. If you are having problems with your water, please phone the Call Centre: 941 8999 / 0800 800 1869.
Approximately 80 percent of major sink holes in the eastern suburbs have now been repaired, while others have been cornered off to traffic.
Closed roads – Atlantis Street, Waygreen Avenue, Wattle Drive, St Davids Street, Gloucester Street (Montreal to Durham streets) and Fitzgerald Avenue restrictions close to Chester Street (east).
Roads now open – Bower Avenue (between Beach Road and Pinewood Ave), and Wattle Drive (Travis Road to Sandy Avenue).
Wastewater and solid waste
The Christchurch Wastewater Treatment Plant in Bromley is functional.
Wastewater discharges to the lower reaches of the Avon River are now significantly reduced. There are some intermittent discharges in the location of Pages Road at peak flows or as a result of repair work on the network being undertaken.
People are reminded to stay away from the Port Hills unless they live there, or need to be there.