Press Release – Standards New Zealand
STANDARDS NEW ZEALAND MEDIA RELEASE Security officers Standard published 27 October 2011 A new Standard for guard and patrol security services specifies the perceived minimum requirements that are attainable by all security companies, regardless of …STANDARDS NEW ZEALAND MEDIA RELEASE
Security officers Standard published
27 October 2011
A new Standard for guard and patrol security services specifies the perceived minimum requirements that are attainable by all security companies, regardless of size.
Chief Executive of Standards New Zealand, Debbie Chin, said the joint Australian/New Zealand Standard revises a 1996 Australian Standard and reflected stakeholder demand for a more robust set of Standards for the industry and broader community.
‘AS/NZS 4421:2011 Guard and patrol security services supersedes AS 4421:1996, Guards and patrols and came about as a result of providers of protective security services requesting a better reflection of the way the industry now operates. The Standard itself was developed by a range of interested parties including security providers, insurance, and police.
‘Requirements of the Standard include:
• full pre-employment enquiries are to be made to ensure only suitably qualified people are recruited. This covers physical and mental aptitude, language ability, personal documentation, and relevant licensing
• employers of security services shall ensure a current and relevant safe work methods statement is in place for each site as part of the organisation’s health and safety commitment
• where employment is on an occasional or part-time basis, pre-employment checks should be as rigorous as for full-time employees
• the alarm response service for each client shall be categorised in accordance with the time it takes to reach the alarm site from the point of alarm activation.
‘The Standard reflects the growing complexity of the industry as well as the more demanding nature of the role of security guards,’ Debbie Chin said.
• Order AS/NZS 4421:2011 Guard and patrol security services or email email@example.com, or call 0800 782 632 during business hours.
About Standards New Zealand
Standards New Zealand is the operating arm of the Standards Council, and part of New Zealand’s standards and conformance infrastructure. Standards New Zealand is an autonomous Crown entity responsible for managing the development and distribution of Standards across a range of sectors nationally.
Standards New Zealand is a self-funded, not-for-profit organisation, relying on revenue primarily from contracts with sponsors to develop Standards, and from sales of Standards publications. Our independence helps us facilitate a cross section of stakeholders’ contributions to the development of Standards, and ensure that each Standard meets the needs of end users.
Stay in touch