Press Release – Auckland Transport
Auckland Transport has awarded the first major AMETI Panmure contract, for replacement of Mountain Road Bridge, to Downer New Zealand Ltd. The works involve realigning Mountain Road to the east to meet Jellicoe Road and replacing the rail bridge.19 October 2011
Auckland Transport Awards AMETI Panmure Contract
Auckland Transport has awarded the first major AMETI Panmure contract, for replacement of Mountain Road Bridge, to Downer New Zealand Ltd. The works involve realigning Mountain Road to the east to meet Jellicoe Road and replacing the rail bridge.
The $8.85 million contract includes:
• replacement of the Mountain Road Bridge
• construction of a temporary Park and Ride
• demolition of buildings along Ellerslie Panmure Highway
• construction of new services trench under rail line
• work on the Panmure rail station platforms
• relocation of services.
Construction is due to begin in November this year, with completion expected in July 2012.
Auckland Transport Major Projects Manager Rick Walden says the start of physical works on site will be a significant milestone for Auckland Transport and the Panmure community.
“The Mountain Road Bridge works are a critical component of the first phase of AMETI Panmure. Key elements of the project will be completed during Kiwirail’s annual rail line closure this Christmas, to ensure the next stage of works can be constructed safely and with minimum disruption to the travelling public.”
Downer New Zealand Project Manager, Nigel McCreight says: “Downer are delighted to be involved right from the beginning of this exciting project and look forward to starting work within the Panmure community.”
Auckland Transport expects to award the contract for the remainder of AMETI Panmure Phase One works by the New Year. Phase One includes the creation of an enhanced transport interchange at Panmure and a new road to take pressure off Panmure roundabout before a new intersection is built.
Key AMETI Panmure Phase One components are:
• Realigning Mountain Rd east to meet Jellicoe Rd and replacing the rail bridge
• A new connector road from Glen Innes in the north to Mt Wellington Highway in the south, passing under the Ellerslie Panmure highway and mountain road. A large covered box will be created in the Panmure Station area to accommodate this new road.
• Major upgrades at Panmure Station to create a transport interchange with stops for the proposed new urban busway
• Widening Morrin Rd to four lanes between Fraser and Tainui roads.
For more information go to www.ameti.co.nz